Help Wanted: Places to visit

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Darren Hastings_*

Guest_Darren Hastings_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

Hi All,

In approx 6 weeks I will be visiting the USA for a well overdue holiday with my wife.  She has visited the US on business many times over the years (mainly LA, NY and Vegas).  Aside from the regular tourist locations and places of interest we do intend to spend a decent amount of time in the Dallas / New Orleans / Houston area as we both have friends who live locally and naturally, due to my crazy hobby (the wife's words), I'm keen to crawl about Dealey Plaza with my magnifying glass.  :D  

What I am asking for would be any spots of interest, primarily ones related to the JFK assassination, or anywhere unrelated you've visited which you think would be of interest for us to visit during our stay.

Would be extremely grateful for any help....I am getting very excited about coming across to visit!

Cheers,

Darren

Note to admin: If this is posted in the wrong area, accept my apologies and please move it where it belongs.  I posted it in "The Basics" as I thought it may be valuable for other people who intend to visit Texas to get some pointers on things to see.

#2 Greg Burnham

Greg Burnham

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

No problem, Darren. I'll leave it here.

Go to where the Trinity River connects to the sewer system and follow it to Elm Street. Bring a big flashlight, a compass, and a Rottweiler with you...just in case you find one of the shooters in hiding.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Greg Burnham
Admin

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

"It is difficult to abolish prejudice in those bereft of ideas. The more hatred is superficial, the more it runs deep."  -- Farewell America (1968) 

“The ancient Greek definition of happiness was the full use of your powers along lines of excellence."  -- JFK

"A wise man can act a fool, but a foolish man can never act wise."  -- Unknown

AssassinationOfJFK.net Main Page

Forum:

AssassinationOfJFK.net Research Forum

YouTube Channel:

GooglePlus:

Twitter:

Facebook:

#3 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:50 AM

I was not prepared for the shock of how small the plaza is.

By films we all are familiar with and still photos, a false concept of the size of Dealy Plaza is created or was to me.

That was the single biggest shock of the trip to me.

If the 6th Floor Confuseum has a suggestion box, I'd have to ask them to

SHUT THE F*** UP WITH THE LIES DAMMIT!

I would not be willing to pay them to have access to the suggestion box though.

I don't blame the people of Dallas (the working folks) but I know why the label 'the city of hate' still applies to the Wealthy Towers of Power of Dallas even today.

The 50th anniversary proved how blinded by the right Dallas Elite is and was and remains.

To celebrate a life on the anniversay of that person's murder at the exact scene of that murder is OBSCENE and was an UNSUCCESSFUL COVER-UP PSY-OP.

Jim

PS welcome and enjoy.

Hope America extends hospitality as Sydney once did.

#4 Greg Burnham

Greg Burnham

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

Another place to visit would be the police ramp where the vehicle that was to transport Oswald exited the parking garage. And, if you have time, try to reenact Oswald's alleged route starting from the TSBD eventually arriving at the Texas theater. Time yourself. It puts that little chapter firmly where it belongs: in a fairy tale.

Greg Burnham
Admin

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

"It is difficult to abolish prejudice in those bereft of ideas. The more hatred is superficial, the more it runs deep."  -- Farewell America (1968) 

“The ancient Greek definition of happiness was the full use of your powers along lines of excellence."  -- JFK

Forum:

YouTube Channel:

GooglePlus:

Twitter:

Facebook:

#5 Adele Edisen

Adele Edisen

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

I suggest the region atop the Grassy Knoll and behind the pergola (concrete corridor) on the North side of Elm street.

Walk over the space between the pergola, sidewalk, low concrete fence, and steps to Elm Street, and the wooden

stockade fence.   During the head shot to JFK there was an automobile, a Ford Edsel, which belonged to Rubin Goldstein,

a friend of Jack Ruby's and a pawnbroker,well-known in Dallas whose business name, "Honest Joe's Pawnshop" was

painted on the Edsel station wagon.  

The top of this vehicle is visible in the Nix film and disappears after the head shooting.  Prior to the motorcade at

Dealey Plaza the vehicle was observed by several persons. as recorded by Jim Marrs in his book. "Crossfire",

being driven around the Plaza to advertise "Honest Joe's Pawnshop."  Jean Hill was one of the people who noticed it,

and said its rear and side windows were covered with cardboard.  It was thought a shooter was brought to the Grassy

Knoll.in the car.

You also can go behind the wooden stockade fence where shooters were said to be located.  One location was at the  

part of the fence from its corner, the part that is parallel to Elm Street  several feet from the corner where there was

found a place with muddy footprints and cigarette butts where a shooter probably stood waiting for the President to

appear.  I think there exists a photo of a rifle being held on the outside of the fence at this location.

Then, the Hotel Adolphus  (sp?) would be a nice place for dinner or coffee.   Across the street from the Hotel's

car parking garage is where Jack Ruby's Carousel nightclub was located (Commerce Street).  Also on Commerce Street

some blocks away would be Neiman-Marcus' Department Store, a very fancy place which your wife might enjoy.

Wishing you and your wife a wonderful visit to Dallas.and New Orleans (one of my hometowns for many years).

Adele

#6 Adele Edisen

Adele Edisen

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

The only places I can think of in New Orleans that would be assassination related would be 

4905 Magazine Street where Lee Harvey and Marina Oswald lived for a few months in 1963 

before going to Dallas.  Also, the Reilly Coffee Company was downtown on Camp Street near 

Lafayette Park where Banister had his office and where Oswald had some space of his own.

About a block or so from Canal Street was the building which housed the International Trade Mart

on the riverside of Camp Street, and also as was the Reilly Coffee Company (further down the street).

Clay Shaw was the Director of the International Trade Mart (and Jose Rivera told me in April 1963 that

"The Director of the International Trade Mart is involved in this" -  (the assassination of President 

John Kennedy was what he had been talking about)..  Oswald was handing out his leaflets in front of 

the International Trade Mart.  You may have seen that film clip.

Within walking distance from his Magazine Street home, towards the levee and River, there was the 

us Public Health Hospital of many buildings which served US military personnel and veterans.  Oswald 

owned an identification card for admittance to it, and according to Ed Haslam and his book, did visit it.

You might like to wander down to the docks and ships as Oswald did to talk with workers loading and 

unloading cargoes.  He asked them about cargoes of guns going to Cuba and reported to a Congressional 

committee/FBI? investigating such activities.  Oswald was a paid FBI and government informant.

According to Marina and their neighbors, Oswald was home every night, usually reading on his porch

while he had daylight and inside his living room which they could see into with house lights on through

his large window.  They also saw him playing with his little daughter, June, on the small front lawn or porch.               .

#7 Adele Edisen

Adele Edisen

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Darren, I just corrected the address where Oswald lived in New Orleans.  I made a 'typo',

The correction now reads 4905 Magazine Street in New Orleans.  I hope it's still there and

not destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

Adele

#8 Guest_Darren Hastings_*

Guest_Darren Hastings_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

No problem, Darren. I'll leave it here.

Go to where the Trinity River connects to the sewer system and follow it to Elm Street. Bring a big flashlight, a compass, and a Rottweiler with you...just in case you find one of the shooters in hiding.

Haha, thanks. Funny you should mention it but I do plan on having a look over the drains and the access to it.
The storm drain shooter position is something my mind is very open to.

By films we all are familiar with and still photos, a false concept of the size of Dealy Plaza is created or was to me.

If the 6th Floor Confuseum has a suggestion box, I'd have to ask them to
SHUT THE F*** UP WITH THE LIES DAMMIT!
I would not be willing to pay them to have access to the suggestion box though.

I don't blame the people of Dallas (the working folks) but I know why the label 'the city of hate' still applies to the Wealthy Towers of Power of Dallas even today.
The 50th anniversary proved how blinded by the right Dallas Elite is and was and remains.
To celebrate a life on the anniversay of that person's murder at the exact scene of that murder is OBSCENE and was an UNSUCCESSFUL COVER-UP PSY-OP.

Jim
PS welcome and enjoy.
Hope America extends hospitality as Sydney once did.

Thanks Jim - I'm sure America will welcome us warmly.
I think I am prepared for how small the plaza will be. I've read numerous accounts of people's first impressions and it's a common thought.
I'll be sure to not contribute to the takings of the 6th floor museum also - I think I'd be violently ill in hearing the official 'tale'. Just the other day I was searching for a photo and stumbled across the Von Pein photo gallery. Absolutely brilliant collection of pics until you read some of the captions. Garbage!!

Another place to visit would be the police ramp where the vehicle that was to transport Oswald exited the parking garage. And, if you have time, try to reenact Oswald's alleged route starting from the TSBD eventually arriving at the Texas theater. Time yourself. It puts that little chapter firmly where it belongs: in a fairy tale.

Thanks Greg. I had planned a visit to the Texas Theatre and a walk to 1026 North Beckley via Tenth and Patton with my stopwatch. I will ad the police ramp area to my list.

I suggest the region atop the Grassy Knoll and behind the pergola (concrete corridor) on the North side of Elm street.
Walk over the space between the pergola, sidewalk, low concrete fence, and steps to Elm Street, and the wooden
stockade fence.   During the head shot to JFK there was an automobile, a Ford Edsel, which belonged to Rubin Goldstein,
a friend of Jack Ruby's and a pawnbroker,well-known in Dallas whose business name, "Honest Joe's Pawnshop" was
painted on the Edsel station wagon.  

The top of this vehicle is visible in the Nix film and disappears after the head shooting.  Prior to the motorcade at
Dealey Plaza the vehicle was observed by several persons. as recorded by Jim Marrs in his book. "Crossfire",
being driven around the Plaza to advertise "Honest Joe's Pawnshop."  Jean Hill was one of the people who noticed it,
and said its rear and side windows were covered with cardboard.  It was thought a shooter was brought to the Grassy
Knoll.in the car.

You also can go behind the wooden stockade fence where shooters were said to be located.  One location was at the  
part of the fence from its corner, the part that is parallel to Elm Street  several feet from the corner where there was
found a place with muddy footprints and cigarette butts where a shooter probably stood waiting for the President to
appear.  I think there exists a photo of a rifle being held on the outside of the fence at this location.

Then, the Hotel Adolphus  (sp?) would be a nice place for dinner or coffee.   Across the street from the Hotel's
car parking garage is where Jack Ruby's Carousel nightclub was located (Commerce Street).  Also on Commerce Street
some blocks away would be Neiman-Marcus' Department Store, a very fancy place which your wife might enjoy.

Wishing you and your wife a wonderful visit to Dallas.and New Orleans (one of my hometowns for many years).

Adele

Wow! Thanks Adele. Some great suggestions there. Thanks for taking the time to type it all out. I've every intention of crawling all around the plaza and pergola/fence/TSBD/South knoll area. Very helpful!
We are very excited about our trip (for largely different reasons!!) so thanks for your kind thoughts!

The only places I can think of in New Orleans that would be assassination related would be 
4905 Magazine Street where Lee Harvey and Marina Oswald lived for a few months in 1963 
before going to Dallas.  Also, the Reilly Coffee Company was downtown on Camp Street near 
Lafayette Park where Banister had his office and where Oswald had some space of his own.

About a block or so from Canal Street was the building which housed the International Trade Mart
on the riverside of Camp Street, and also as was the Reilly Coffee Company (further down the street).
Clay Shaw was the Director of the International Trade Mart (and Jose Rivera told me in April 1963 that
"The Director of the International Trade Mart is involved in this" -  (the assassination of President 
John Kennedy was what he had been talking about)..  Oswald was handing out his leaflets in front of 
the International Trade Mart.  You may have seen that film clip.

Within walking distance from his Magazine Street home, towards the levee and River, there was the 
us Public Health Hospital of many buildings which served US military personnel and veterans.  Oswald 
owned an identification card for admittance to it, and according to Ed Haslam and his book, did visit it.

You might like to wander down to the docks and ships as Oswald did to talk with workers loading and 
unloading cargoes.  He asked them about cargoes of guns going to Cuba and reported to a Congressional 
committee/FBI? investigating such activities.  Oswald was a paid FBI and government informant.

According to Marina and their neighbors, Oswald was home every night, usually reading on his porch
while he had daylight and inside his living room which they could see into with house lights on through
his large window.  They also saw him playing with his little daughter, June, on the small front lawn or porch.               .

Awesome info Adele. I'm very grateful for your generosity!!

#9 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

Sorry Mr. Hastings

I didn't intend to be talking "down" if taken that way.

Talkin' down to I save for McDingbat, SMack, MacBoyGeorge and etc, or I try.

Have safe travel, good libations and even better company with great experiences.

And thanks for givin' a damn.

Jim

#10 Guest_Darren Hastings_*

Guest_Darren Hastings_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:33 AM

Not at all Mr Hackett, I took it as intended!

Cheers for the sensitivity and warm thoughts.

#11 Mark Jamieson

Mark Jamieson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:31 AM

I've only had the opportunity to visit Dealey Plaza once, and completely echo Jim's remarks… I had envisioned this huge open area.  As small as it is, it was the perfect place to pull off the "crime of the century."

Once you get the historical juices flowing in New Orleans, do yourselves a favor and stop by Cafe du Monde for Beignets and coffee - you'll be very glad you did!! 

Always glad to have our brothers from down under pay us a visit!!  Welcome, Darren!

#12 Greg Burnham

Greg Burnham

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:52 AM

Darren,

The last time I checked, the manhole cover was no longer removable and so the storm drain was not accessible from Elm. If only they had welded it shut before JFK arrived. However, it was once accessible. I've been "down under" (no pun intended) the street level on Elm: climbed inside the storm drain--replacing the manhole cover after me--to view the motorcade route from there. I've also been to the Trinity River exit point.

In any event, the only way you can get inside the "sewer drain" on Elm today is probably from the Trinity River...and that is not advised. You probably would need some type of blasting material to get through and I don't think they'd allow that.

Greg Burnham
Admin

Forum:

YouTube Channel:

GooglePlus:

Twitter:

Facebook:

#13 Guest_Darren Hastings_*

Guest_Darren Hastings_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Darren,

The last time I checked, the manhole cover was no longer removable and so the storm drain was not accessible from Elm. If only they had welded it shut before JFK arrived. However, it was once accessible. I've been "down under" (no pun intended) the street level on Elm: climbed inside the storm drain--replacing the manhole cover after me--to view the motorcade route from there. I've also been to the Trinity River exit point.

In any event, the only way you can get inside the "sewer drain" on Elm today is probably from the Trinity River...and that is not advised. You probably would need some type of blasting material to get through and I don't think they'd allow that.

Hi Greg,

Yes, I've viewed your storm drain photos and research conducted in 1999 online some time back. Thanks for the tip regarding the manhole cover / Trinity river entrance. Probably best I don't bring welding gear and explosives on the flight over from down under :lol:

I've added the good suggestions above to my list - appreciate everyone's help!

#14 Guest_Darren Hastings_*

Guest_Darren Hastings_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

Always glad to have our brothers from down under pay us a visit!!  Welcome, Darren!

Thanks Mark.
I appreciate the warm welcome.

Starting to firm up some of the trip details now...exciting!

#15 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:14 AM

Were I going to Dallas it would be too close to Louisiana not to go there too and N'arlins too.

I maybe less mobile now, but I like having a good time and good food still.

But that is on the way back.

In Dallas I'd like to do a little snoopin' and poopin' around the river but not under the earth.

And the south direction from Gary Smack's Office display of BS.

And TAKE MANY PICTURES OF MANY PLACES.

Missing Jack's knowledge all the more,

again.

Digital camera's are fantastic thanks silicon valley.

Then some front porch music with some folks there abouts I know,

likely a good meal somewhere along the line.

No I can't play nothin' but it doesn't matter does it?

Cain't sing either except in private.

Jim

Used to do Prine and both Guthries with the cheap box.

but then I went to work and hands went too.

#16 Guest_Darren Hastings_*

Guest_Darren Hastings_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:32 PM

Have just today confirmed that we are driving from Houston to New Orleans and going to lap up some culture!

Thanks Jim!

#17 Guest_Darren Hastings_*

Guest_Darren Hastings_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

In New Orleans now.

Wow! Unique isn't sufficient.

Thanks again Jim.

#18 Greg Burnham

Greg Burnham

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:46 PM

Jim Garrison: "Dave, I find your story simply not believable."

David Ferrie: "Really? What part?"

Greg Burnham
Admin

Forum:

YouTube Channel:

GooglePlus:

Twitter:

Facebook:

#19 Guest_Darren Hastings_*

Guest_Darren Hastings_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:36 PM

LOL
Joe Pesci is the maestro!

I did the Bannister/sheep dip patsy office, ONI, FBI walk today up Camp St.

I pictured Costner with his pipe and cane at the corner of Lafayette ... I had a smile - wife is certain I'm a loon. Good times.

#20 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:15 AM

Yes indeed.

Deja Vu.

Funny how a "fictional" invented cinema contrivance still lives after near 25 years after release.

Must be some truth in there somewhere, Zach. Oliver too.

Pesci is incredible as Ferry...

Glad having a good time,

N'arlins is too close not to enjoy from Texas.

Hell even my friends know by no doubt I am sometimes a loon.

Locally we all wouldn't have it any other way.

I think of it as character...?

<Grin>

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Work by: XmasZen.com