3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:55 AM

The University of Oklahoma has taken the asp to the breast of its' "History" Department.

For credit paying college students will be empowered to watch History Channel for credit hours, for a fee of course.

===================================================================================================

http://www.wptz.com/...istory/29415656

On Tuesday, the History Channel announced a partnership with the University of Oklahoma that allows for the first ever TV network-branded online college course for credit.

"I think it's a great way of combining the talents of the History Channel... with the intellectual rigors of a college class," said University of Oklahoma professor Steve Gillon, who will teach the class.

"United States, 1865 to the Present" will be a 16 week interactive 3 credit online course that will include all the standards of your regular collegiate history class (quizzes, lectures, etc.) along with supplemental material from the History Channel.

Gillon, who also works with the History Channel as Scholar-in-Residence, explained that students will be able to do work while also delving into the archives of the channel.

For example, two weeks of the course focus on the 1960's, so students will able to do readings on John F. Kennedy alongside watching clips from his 1963 assassination.

"Television networks have the thing we don't have in the academy, which are the images," Gillon said. "As professors, it's really hard for us to do these things because there's all these rights issues."

The course will cost students $500 which Gillon says is cheaper than even some community college courses.

Enrollment for the class opened up on Tuesday and it will be in session starting next semester.

Gillon thinks the interactive course will be beneficial to today's college students, who are more likely getting their information on visual platforms.

As for future classes focused on some of the History Channel's other subjects like Bigfoot, Gillon laughs saying "god, I hope not."

==============================================================================================================

Larry Dunkle lurks to decieve the youth hoping to "educate" them before the reality can be conveyed.
GSMack and Steve Gillon as handmaidens to Bullshit.

I only have one question: What happened to peer review? I was taught that peer review is exactly how one can separate the bullshit manufactured history from the truth.

As in the case of the USS Maine, Wm R. Hearst manufactured a sabotage explosion accepted for decades as reality, but then Adm. Rickover found by examination of the wreck that a coal bunker explosion of no enemies cause destroyed the ship.

Remember the Maine indeed, but also remember the deception taught for generations now known to be Bullshit.

Yes Charlie whatever these liars are being paid it is too much and sadly too effective sometimes.

Maybe one of those rights Mr. Gillon spoke of is the right not to pay to be bullshitted by any Professor.

I can hope this effort fails to find traction with the students.

Jim

Maybe I am judging "history channel" before-the-fact? Nah, I judge by past conduct.

• Eileenkt likes this

#2 Adele Edisen

Adele Edisen

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:26 AM

Our public educational system, and our private one also, are being corrupted.   How can any scholar learn the truth from 

liars and their academic colleagues, as in this case.

Many universities support scholars who can obtain grant monies if they play the Establishment's games and publish

only what is supposed to be said.

Honest research is not necessarily supported if it conflicts, for example.in neurophysiology, with results that Big Pharma

wants.   So, for almost 60 years now, no progress has been made to resolve the fundamental problem of synaptic inhibition 

in the nervous system.   Big Pharma has purchased our scientists - maybe foreign scientists will make a breakthrough 

once they stop reading America's scientific journals and start thinking more critically about the evidence.

As for students of History in Oklahoma and elsewhere, they should spend time in libraries and do a lot of critical reading 

and thinking and discuss their issues with History professor and with other students.  And they should put forth questions

for which they themselves want answers, not questions asked at the end of a chapter in a textbook, which are there to

help develop a summary or a review of text material.

• Jim Hackett II and Larry Trotter like this

#3 Adele Edisen

Adele Edisen

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:58 AM

Thank you, Jim and Larry..

#4 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

You are most Welcome Ms. Adele!

Love for my nation's people and what my nation was supposed to be, is for me based in history.

Good and Bad. And not distorted to serve any agenda but to remember what our Grand-parents/ great grandparents and such were struggling to secure for us,

their posterity and to promote the general welfare (original definition).

Yes warts and all, theft of the continent from native americans and racial hatred and all good and bad history has made us who we are as Americans.

I have pride in that history and shame too.

Nothing wrong with the USG providing help to citizens in need. WPA proved the idea of public works for the benefit of all.

But for some in the beltway to constantly promote for example the privitization of Social Security, every couple of years some idiot will grab that third rail as GWBu$h did repeatedly,

I can't imagine any more theft laden idea, Wall Street only wants to gamble with OTHER people's money ....

if citizens are ignorant enough of history to give control of funds to Wall Street.

All of which is obvious IF one has studied history for one's self and learned to ignore the Mockingbird.

FWIW.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Work by: XmasZen.com