3 replies to this topic

#1 Bernice Moore

Bernice Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

"1st September 1939" by W.H. Auden (read by Tom O'Bedlam)

This has no direct relevance to the JFK Assassination, but he did serve in WW 2, and it is beautifully done, and as well it was attached by Peter Dale Scott.....imo. As well the people of Poland are again being put on their guard and are nervous and somewhat upset by the actions of another giant at the present time...so fyi...B

#2 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationWherever I am observed by myself.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

This has no direct relevance to the JFK Assassination[.]

Not so fast, B.

As the epigraph for The Honourable Schoolboy, the second volume of the so-called Karla Trilogy in which George Smiley destroys a decades-in-development, immensely valuable operation run by his nemesis, Karla, in Soviet intelligence -- the genius who nearly destroyed Smiley's service in Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy --  John Le Carre chose this from September 1, 1939:

I and the public know

What all schoolchildren learn.

Those to whom evil is done

Do evil in return.

It has been reported that Le Carre refuses to go near the JFK assassination in his fiction because "it's too difficult" to understand.  Which means to this reader of subtext that the novelist has at least a working knowledge of the facts and hypotheses as they pertain to the event we scrutinize so passionately.

Le Carre found in Auden, with whom he was personally acquainted, a deep and profound understanding both of the "psychopathic god" and of the human thirst for vengeance that are revealed in the workings and consequences of so many intelligence operations.

So ... To the degree that vengeance motivated many of the Facilitators and False Sponsors -- at least -- of the Dallas conspiracy and continues to motivate more than a few who would hunt them down, Auden's poem sings to us.  As it does to Le Carre.

(As an aside: We learn from Peter Straughan, screenwriter of the second (and inferior to Arthur Hopcraft's original BBC masterpiece) dramatization of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, the origin of a line of dialogue spoken by a female character in that severely challenged film.  Le Carre, it seems, had told him of a conversation he had had with Auden in which the poet observed, "I don't know about you, but I'm seriously under-fucked."  

For more on Hopcraft: http://www.theguardi...rdianobituaries  )

"[Y]ou can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity." -- Graham Greene, The Quiet American

"If an individual, through either his own volition or events over which he had no control, found himself taking up residence in a country undefined by flags or physical borders, he could be assured of one immediate and abiding consequence. He was on his own, and solitude and loneliness would probably be his companions unto the grave." -- James Lee Burke, Rain Gods

a wind has blown the rain away and blown
the sky away and all the leaves away,
and the trees stand. i think i too have known
autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

#3 Bernice Moore

Bernice Moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

THANK YOU Charles, when I posted the link earlier today, the thought did occur to me that I would receive a reply, and from you, hoping so that you would as you have given us further information on all involved..I noted Hopcraft states ""He wrote another espionage series adaptation, A Perfect Spy (1987), as well as screenplays for the film Agatha (1979) and for the TV Rebecca in 1997. He won the Bafta Writer's Award in 1985, but eventually found it difficult, as the millennium neared, to come to terms with the new demands of TV writing, what he called "being alternately patronised and bullied by girls called Fiona flourishing clipboards." I have read similar statements from those involved in T.V ..I will admit, I certainly did not like his work on the film ''Agatha'' I still think it was and is a dreadful film.....imo

It has been reported that Le Carre refuses to go near the JFK assassination in his fiction because "it's too difficult" to understand. Which means to this reader of subtext that the novelist has at least a working knowledge of the facts and hypotheses as they pertain to the event we scrutinize so passionately''.....Could possibly be he had been privileged to too much insider information, as being what he was, he just may have been privileged to info from some who did talk,at social gatherings and there certainly were the many after, and of course the ''some ''attendees who always say they know the inside information...boring to many but also some truth as well... and there were those that did ..imo..thank you..take care b

#4 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationWherever I am observed by myself.

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

Hopcraft's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy adaptation remains the finest work of its kind I've ever had the pleasure to view.

"[Y]ou can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity." -- Graham Greene, The Quiet American

"If an individual, through either his own volition or events over which he had no control, found himself taking up residence in a country undefined by flags or physical borders, he could be assured of one immediate and abiding consequence. He was on his own, and solitude and loneliness would probably be his companions unto the grave." -- James Lee Burke, Rain Gods

a wind has blown the rain away and blown
the sky away and all the leaves away,
and the trees stand. i think i too have known
autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Work by: XmasZen.com