27 replies to this topic

#21 Greg Burnham

Greg Burnham

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

So yes, I am tribal.  My tribe is Humanity.  

Sorry for going off topic for a moment, but what you wrote reminded me of a funny incident a few days ago out on the tennis court. One of our regular players--who happens to be rather tall for a Filipino--was mistakenly assumed to be of Native American descent by another player. The player asked him, "So from which tribe did you or your ancestors originate?" The answer given: "Flipaho." [Pronounced Flip - a -ho !!!]

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Greg Burnham
Admin

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

"It is difficult to abolish prejudice in those bereft of ideas. The more hatred is superficial, the more it runs deep."  -- Farewell America (1968) 

“The ancient Greek definition of happiness was the full use of your powers along lines of excellence."  -- JFK

"A wise man can act a fool, but a foolish man can never act wise."  -- Unknown

AssassinationOfJFK.net Main Page

Forum:

AssassinationOfJFK.net Research Forum

YouTube Channel:

GooglePlus:

Twitter:

Facebook:

#22 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationWherever I am observed by myself.

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

re Abdul-Jabbar

http://www.huffingto...4b0e60d31dc7805

as of 8-31-2016

Good for him.  A size 16 step in the right direction.

In his honor (that's Joe Henderson on tenor):

• David Healy likes this
"[Y]ou can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity." -- Graham Greene, The Quiet American

"If an individual, through either his own volition or events over which he had no control, found himself taking up residence in a country undefined by flags or physical borders, he could be assured of one immediate and abiding consequence. He was on his own, and solitude and loneliness would probably be his companions unto the grave." -- James Lee Burke, Rain Gods

a wind has blown the rain away and blown
the sky away and all the leaves away,
and the trees stand. i think i too have known
autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

#23 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:58 AM

So it begins.

Attached Files

"[Y]ou can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity." -- Graham Greene, The Quiet American

"If an individual, through either his own volition or events over which he had no control, found himself taking up residence in a country undefined by flags or physical borders, he could be assured of one immediate and abiding consequence. He was on his own, and solitude and loneliness would probably be his companions unto the grave." -- James Lee Burke, Rain Gods

autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

#24 Greg Burnham

Greg Burnham

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:56 AM

Speaking of your rightful repugnance toward tribalism, are you also a Bronco, a Charger, a Bengal, a Dolphin, a Redskin, and a Colt? Or are you just a Patriot?

Greg Burnham
Admin

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

"It is difficult to abolish prejudice in those bereft of ideas. The more hatred is superficial, the more it runs deep."  -- Farewell America (1968) 

“The ancient Greek definition of happiness was the full use of your powers along lines of excellence."  -- JFK

Forum:

YouTube Channel:

GooglePlus:

Twitter:

Facebook:

#25 Greg Burnham

Greg Burnham

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:49 PM

And what of Tom Brady? I wonder had he not been forced to sit out four games for cheating if he would be sitting down in protest during the national anthem? Perhaps we will see later in the season...

Greg Burnham
Admin

Forum:

YouTube Channel:

GooglePlus:

Twitter:

Facebook:

#26 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

Brady will not sit.  He identifies with the owner class.

Unless, of course, someone helps him to bring a perspective informed by deep politics to his Deflategate-related miseries.

autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

#27 Greg Burnham

Greg Burnham

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

I wonder where the term tribalism originated? Was it referencing Native American "tribalism" as many early North American "wars" were, in fact, waged between various "Indian Nations" long before the Europeans landed on this continent.

Greg Burnham
Admin

Forum:

YouTube Channel:

GooglePlus:

Twitter:

Facebook:

#28 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

I wonder where the term tribalism originated? Was it referencing Native American "tribalism" as many early North American "wars" were, in fact, waged between various "Indian Nations" long before the Europeans landed on this continent.

I suspect "tribalism" in its most common contemporary usage originated as a term of art within the study and practice of anthropology and not as a reference to conflict between and among this continent's tribal "nations".

In fact, there were three founding "tribes" -- tribi, or political enclaves -- of ancient Rome: the Titienses, Ramnenses, and Luceres.  Each tribus traced its origin to Romulus.

But tribal enclaves likely are as old as -- and hardly confined to -- our species.  The evolutionary purposes of tribes aren't difficult to understand: symbiosis in service to physical survival and to the establishment of self-identification -- understanding who we are by understanding who we are not.

Factors limiting tribal affiliation must expand/evolve if what began as a means of personal survival does not become the root cause of mass extinction.

• Greg Burnham likes this

autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Work by: XmasZen.com