Photo

Until the Life of the Assassin -- Light & Darkness: Ted Kennedy's Plea for Sirhan's Life

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Founding Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationWherever I am observed by myself.

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

THE LIGHT

In the spring of 1969, Sirhan B. Sirhan, having been convicted of the first degree murder of Robert F. Kennedy, awaited imposition of the sentence of death.  

Having been asked by the court if the victim's family wished to make its feelings and wishes known relative to the penalty, Edward M. Kennedy submitted, on behalf of his family, a written plea for mercy to District Attorney Evelle J. Younger with the request that it be passed to its addressee, Superior Court Judge Herbert V. Walker, who had the authority to reduce the jury's sentence.

"My brother was a man of love and sentiment and compassion," EMK wrote.  "He would not have wanted his death to be a cause for the taking of another life."  He went on to describe RFK as " ... a young man, totally committed to life and living.  He stood against injustice, poverty and discrimination, for those evils lessened life.  He grew to despise war, for war denies the sacredness of life."

EMK reminded the court of his late brother's " ... pleas when he learned of the death of Martin Luther King.  He said, 'What we need in the United States is not division: what we need in the Unite States is not hatred: what we need in the United States is not violence or lawlessness, but love and wisdom and compassion towards one another.'"

It is my faith that Robert, Edward, and John Kennedy continue not only in spirit, but as spirit -- and that they second my admonition:

Until the life of the assassin is held to be as sacred as the life of the assassinated, the assassinations will continue.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

THE DARKNESS

If, as I and others have good reason to believe but cannot yet know, EMK and the senior members of his family knew who killed RFK and, more to the point, knew that Sirhan was neither a conspirator nor the conspiracy's unwitting spearpoint, then EMK's plea for mercy, in all its eloquence and moral authority, must be appreciated as a cynically self-serving obstruction of justice -- one that in essence knowingly condemned an innocent man to life (short or long) imprisonment.

Would that RFK's surviving children step forward to echo their late Uncle Ted's plea and petition the court to grant Sirhan's parole petition.

• Greg Burnham and Lizachurse like this
"[Y]ou can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity." -- Graham Greene, The Quiet American

"If an individual, through either his own volition or events over which he had no control, found himself taking up residence in a country undefined by flags or physical borders, he could be assured of one immediate and abiding consequence. He was on his own, and solitude and loneliness would probably be his companions unto the grave." -- James Lee Burke, Rain Gods

a wind has blown the rain away and blown
the sky away and all the leaves away,
and the trees stand. i think i too have known
autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

#2 Larry Trotter

Larry Trotter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

I suppose I continue to believe that as early as, at the latest, 12/31/1963, the Kennedy family had considerable knowledge about the JFK assassination, but strongly limited their public comments. I also believe that said considerable knowledge, but strongly limited public comments, extended through future accidents and/or incidents involving Kennedy family members that occurred in years following 1963.

• Greg Burnham, Charles Drago, Mark Jamieson and 1 other like this

Larry

Student of Assassination Research

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Work by: XmasZen.com