• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationWherever I am observed by myself.

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

You have awakened on International Jazz Day.

NOT American Jazz Day.

A mega-concert takes place on the grounds of the presidential palace. Questions form.

Where the fuck is Mingus when we need him? Lee Morgan? Billie Holiday? Hell, Eartha Kitt? 

Who today will speak truth -- musically and verbally -- to political power while in the vipers' nest? 

The subtleties of symbol and subtext alone in a single evening's presentation will not be heard or felt above the savage roars of drones and anthems.

Obama, the irony-challenged M.C., quotes Ellington: "Jazz is a good barometer of freeom." Which explains why jazz in the alleged "land of the free" is all but banned from Fascist-controlled mainstream media ... why the mindless, soulless, sell-out obscenity that is Kenny G is touted by the MSM as a jazz icon ... why understanding of and fealty to market shares and unit sales are conflated in America with cultural awareness.

The phrase, unbidden, turns without effort. It must be written. It must be spoken. It must be appreciated not as a reference to race or color, but as a description of the content of a human being's character.

White House nigger.

Is you is, or is you ain't?

"The Fables of Faubus"

by Charles Mingus

Oh, Lord, don't let 'em shoot us!
Oh, Lord, don't let 'em stab us!
Oh, Lord, don't let 'em tar and feather us!
Oh, Lord, no more swastikas!
Oh, Lord, no more Ku Klux Klan!

Name me someone who's ridiculous, Dannie.
Governor Faubus!
Why is he so sick and ridiculous?
He won't permit integrated schools.

Then he's a fool! Boo! Nazi Fascist supremists!
Boo! Ku Klux Klan (with your Jim Crow plan)

Name me a handful that's ridiculous, Dannie Richmond.
Faubus, Rockefeller, Eisenhower
Why are they so sick and ridiculous?

Two, four, six, eight:
They brainwash and teach you hate.
H-E-L-L-O, Hello.

https://www.youtube....h?v=48eAYnfgrAo

"[Y]ou can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity." -- Graham Greene, The Quiet American

"If an individual, through either his own volition or events over which he had no control, found himself taking up residence in a country undefined by flags or physical borders, he could be assured of one immediate and abiding consequence. He was on his own, and solitude and loneliness would probably be his companions unto the grave." -- James Lee Burke, Rain Gods

a wind has blown the rain away and blown
the sky away and all the leaves away,
and the trees stand. i think i too have known
autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

#2 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Charles!

#3 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

Regarding the International Jazz Day concert broadcast on American television on April 30, 2016:

The ABC network editors exacerbated the ignorance and greed that informed and ispired the White House concert planners and broadcast a "special" that "cel
ebrated" jazz by banishing swing, bebop, cool, and every other meaningful stylistic development in the music's history in favor of artists and genres with connective tissue to jazz thin enough to be severed by a gerbil's flatus.

Truth to power was neither spoken nor played.

Contrary to the claims of generations of political pimps and ignorati, jazz never was "America's native art form." Jazz was born, nurtured, and grew into adulthood IN SPITE OF the country that economically enslaves and condemns all but a handful of its originators and their heirs to third-class social status and marginalizes its deepest themes of universal brotherhood and freedom of thought and expression by undermining the positions of jazz in pop culture and the marketplace.

We saw and heard Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter performing the latter's "Footprints" -- but the governor on their supreme poetic engines was present in the person of cartoon "bassist" Esperanza Spaulding -- who couldn't swing if she were hanging from a tree and who owes her popularity to her gender, hair, and insatiable appetites for artistic complacency and political naivete. 

Charles Mingus did not die for her sins.

And just so you know, Shorter's magnificently abstract solo was cut off in mid-phrase by editors rightfully confident that the overwhelming majority of listeners simply wouldn't notice -- and that those who did matter not.

The Dishonorable Mention award must be shared -- and believe me, the voting was VERY close -- by Kurt Elling, who sounds like he's screaming while being hanged in a piano wire noose, and Jamie Cullum, who carpet-bombs the keyboard while gesticulaing like Julius Rosenberg in the chair and singing with the sonic purity and nuance of an auctioneer. 

Mark Murphy did not die for their sins.

"[Y]ou can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity." -- Graham Greene, The Quiet American

"If an individual, through either his own volition or events over which he had no control, found himself taking up residence in a country undefined by flags or physical borders, he could be assured of one immediate and abiding consequence. He was on his own, and solitude and loneliness would probably be his companions unto the grave." -- James Lee Burke, Rain Gods

autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

#4 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

I originally wrote the post above for the "Rolling Stone" Facebook page -- where it is generating plentiful, heated reactions:

https://www.facebook...462117741722240

autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

#5 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:16 PM