• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Charles Drago

Charles Drago

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationWherever I am observed by myself.

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:02 AM

Much is being made of 11.22.63, Stephen King's novel and mini-series that have earned their places alongside the Warren Report and Case Closed in the "Fantasy" sections of your favorite bookstore and television guide, respectively.

Most of you by now know of the story's "time travel" premise and its author's unequivocal embrace of the Lone Nut lie.

But what no one seems able to recollect -- not even the endlessly self-promoting film historian and now JFK memoirist whose profound analyses of the Kennedy assassination have led him to the published conclusion that J.D. Tippet shot the president from the Grassy Knoll (his justification is simply brilliant, as I'll show in a moment) -- is that King is not the first to have used said premise in a Dallas story.

In point of fact, the "time traveler tries to save JFK" meme goes back to "Profile in Silver," a memorable (at least for me) 1985 episode of the rebooted The Twilight Zone CBS series.

On another forum the author of that teleplay, J. Neil Schulman, kindly responded to my acknowledgement of his earlier work:

"I wrote... Profile in Silver ... and the first-draft script I submitted had a second gunman dressed as a Dallas policeman on the grassy knoll.  CBS demanded it be removed from the script."

Stephen King ... Plagiarist?  Poseur (almost typed "Posner")?  Cover-up contributor? 

Who can say?

And oh yeah ... the aforementioned keen observer of all things cinematic and conspiratorial justifies his Tippet charge by referencing a claim by the father of the murdered DPD officer that his son could hit a resting bird from an impressive distance.

Someone should explain to that august man of letters that "sitting duck" is a figure of speeh.

• Greg Burnham likes this
"[Y]ou can't blame the innocent, they are always guiltless. All you can do is control them or eliminate them. Innocence is a kind of insanity." -- Graham Greene, The Quiet American

"If an individual, through either his own volition or events over which he had no control, found himself taking up residence in a country undefined by flags or physical borders, he could be assured of one immediate and abiding consequence. He was on his own, and solitude and loneliness would probably be his companions unto the grave." -- James Lee Burke, Rain Gods

a wind has blown the rain away and blown
the sky away and all the leaves away,
and the trees stand. i think i too have known
autumn too long
-- e. e. cummings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Work by: XmasZen.com