#1 Larry Trotter

Larry Trotter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:01 PM

Admittedly, I have no accessible memory the presidency of HST, but after completing the late FDR's elected term ('45-'49) as he was FDR's elected VP at the time of FDR's death, the now incumbent HST was elected in '48 to a complete term ('49-'53), but was not a candidate for a 2nd allowed term. However, after becoming POTUS in Apr '45, and then continuing as elected POTUS from Jan '49 until that term ended in Jan '53, HST served about 7 yrs and 9 mos.

DDE, former US Army General, was elected '52 , and served 2 complete terms in office as POTUS ('53-'61), after re-election in '56 for his 2nd term beginning in '57.

JFK , former US Senator from Massachusetts was elected in Nov '60 and began his 1st term in Jan '61, but served only 2 yrs and 10 mos of said term ('61-'65) before being assassinated in Nov '63.

LBJ, as JFK's elected VP, was elevated to POTUS in Nov '63 due to the death of JFK, to serve the remaining 1 yr and 2 mos of JFK's elected 1st term. In Nov '64, the now incumbent LBJ was elected to his 1st full term as POTUS ('65-'69). During '68, LBJ announced that he would not seek, nor accept a nomination of his political party as a candidate in that year's election, for what would be his 2nd elected term.

RMN, a then former, but not incumbent VP ('53-'61), was elected in '68 to his 1st term ('69-'73) as POTUS. The now incumbent RMN was re-elected in '72 to serve his 2nd term ('73-'77). However, after the resignation of VP STA in Oct '73, POTUS RMN resigned in Aug '74, possibly to avoid being impeached and removed from office.

GRF, as RMN's appointed VP, was elevated to POTUS in Aug '74 after the resignation of RMN. The now incumbent GRF then ran for POTUS in the '76 election for a 1st term beginning in Jan '77, but lost in the general election.

JEC, former governor of Georgia, was elected POTUS in Nov '76 to his 1st term ('77-'81). However, the now incumbent lost in his bid for re-election in  Nov '80 for a 2nd full term beginning in Jan '81.

RWR, actor and former governor of California, was elected in '80 to his 1st term ('81-'85), and the now incumbent RWR was re-elected in '84 for his 2nd full term ('85-'89).

GHWB, the now incumbent VP, was elected in '88 for his 1st term ('89-'93). And, he was a candidate for re-election in '92 for his 2nd term beginning in '93, but the now incumbent POTUS lost his bid for said re-election.

WJC, former Governor of Arkansas, was elected in '92, and again in '96, to serve 2 complete terms ('93-'01). Although impeached by the USH in Dec '98, WJC refused to resign as POTUS, but was not removed from office by the USS, and thus served his 2 elected terms.

GWB, former Governor of Texas, was elected in 2000 and re-elected in 2004 to serve 2 full terms ('01-'09). There were questions about the vote count in 2000, and some questions arose in 2004 as well.

BHO, former US Senator from Illinois, was elected in '08 and re-elected in '12, and is at present serving in the final year of 2 full terms ('09-'17).

Due to FDR's lifetime being before my birth, I do not count his presidency among those in my lifetime.

So, of the last 12 POTUSs, only 5, counting BHO, served their complete allowable terms.

I do not know what, if anything, this all means, but I do sometimes wonder, as I wander.

Larry

Student of Assassination Research

#2 Greg Burnham

Greg Burnham

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

Even with all of the cynicism toward the USGOV that is frequently expressed on these pages, still it is my opinion that our founding fathers did an exemplary job of attempting to set up as fully functional a democracy as possible. And even as messy as it gets, sometimes it does manage to approach functioning as intended.

To wit: A major concern of our founders was the avoidance of a tyrannical state headed by a dictatorial individual who would wield an unwarranted degree of power. With the exception of JFK, that the majority of men who have become POTUS in the examples you cite did not successfully hold office for their entire allowable term(s) may indicate that as dysfunctionally as our Republic operates, it still prevents that which our founders believed to be the biggest threat to liberty: a monarch--even if only a temporary one.

I am not firmly asserting the above. Perhaps there is a grain of truth to it or perhaps it is just wishful thinking...

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Greg Burnham
Admin

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

"It is difficult to abolish prejudice in those bereft of ideas. The more hatred is superficial, the more it runs deep."  -- Farewell America (1968) 

“The ancient Greek definition of happiness was the full use of your powers along lines of excellence."  -- JFK

"A wise man can act a fool, but a foolish man can never act wise."  -- Unknown

AssassinationOfJFK.net Main Page

Forum:

AssassinationOfJFK.net Research Forum

YouTube Channel:

GooglePlus:

Twitter:

Facebook:

#3 Larry Trotter

Larry Trotter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

Maybe a little of both Greg. In any event, my apologies to the family of Dwight David Eisenhower for overlooking the E. But, now corrected.

I am mostly intrigued by the '60s and '70s, with JFK's, LBJ's, and RMN's reduced terms along with term prevention for RFK, and possibly EMK as well.

Larry

Student of Assassination Research

#4 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:24 PM

Simplistic my hopes may be, but I too hold that the "framers" attempted a grand thing at a crucial point of history.

I ain't talking George Washington and a damn cherry tree, or Abe Lincoln and log cabin in southern Indiana....

No more like leadership of both Gentlemen. The real history absent from USHistory in my time too.

I call it all a hope of mine as I have become too cynical about all of it.

Living past the milestones of duplicity beginning with the Dulles/Warren Report at age 10, thru Vietnam and Watergate and Iran-Contra and the lie for a sex deed impeached but lying for war was "Nothing of Consequence" and promoting Cheney to state "he'd do it all again!"

Not if WeThePeople had a real Justice Department..... flippin' chickenhawk asshole.

On and on the litany goes. Another trip around the Sunstein/Mockingbird Carousel.

Little wonder I only have hope today where I once had faith in WeThePeople.

It is a grand conception this Republic and a great idea, but......

This abortion of this Republic will not stand on my watch

for my part in it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Work by: XmasZen.com