Christina Gill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

Let the Madness begin......

uk%20basketball.jpg

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -President John F.Kennedy

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people." -President John F. Kennedy

"Forgive your enemies but never forget their names." -President John F. Kennedy

JFK

#2 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 11:04 PM

Wouldn't it be cool IF

the 75-6-7 IU Hoosiers and these fellows could play for a championship?

I used to love pickup roundball games @ the hyper building (IU campus 'retired' PE building).

If one was watchful one could find Benson and the guys playing forbidden ball until Coach Knight found out that is.

Undefeated for a season is one thing, to lose one game in 2 seasons proves the point about the 75-76 Hoosiers and the teams they played and defeated.

Good Luck to the Kats....get 'em Blue

(I thought Big Blue was Michigan U?)

Nah, go Blue is for the Colts around here.

Best

Jim

#3 Christina Gill

Christina Gill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

It would be cool, Jim. :) What would be even better would be to see Bobby Knight throw a chair when the Cats win lol (sorry couldn't resist)

For me Go Big Blue will always belong to the Kentucky Wildcats :)

Have a greta day Jim!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -President John F.Kennedy

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people." -President John F. Kennedy

"Forgive your enemies but never forget their names." -President John F. Kennedy

JFK

#4 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

Only bad officiating at PURDUE made Bob Knight mad that night.

I was watching the game on TV and know a little about roundball rules.

I would have been tossed as I would have followed the chair to the Purdue Bench and kicked some ass,

after I thumped a certain paid off Big 10 Official involved in screwing IU repeatedly over the decades.

It is a choice, which portrayal of Bob Knight do you desire to accept.

Feinstein's hit piece, or Joan Mellen's more honest biography?

Particularly if one is judging by the press presentations and never met or talked to Bob Knight. Or his players.

They know and respect Bob Knight.

Kats beat 75-76 Hoosiers? No freaking way. Only Michigan came close 3 times in 76 but went down in flames. And twice more the season before in 75.

IU graduated athletes in Knight's time.

NEVER EVER A NCAA SANCTION AGAINST IU UNTIL THEY FIRED BOB KNIGHT AND HIRED JERK SAMPSON.

The man ran a clean program.

I rest on the opinion of the Pacer players of that day, IU was NBA competitive on a playoff level in 75-76.

Even Doctor J upholds the view.

I first met Bob Knight when he invaded a lecture in Ballantine Hall to snatch up Kent Benson (the absolute best college Center that ever played the game) by the shirt and drag him into the hall raising hell about he and another player cutting class.

I respect that kind of integrity.

To play you go to class and PASS the classes before you can play for Knight. A different uncorrupted game of that day.

Education FIRST!

I sat in a class @ PURDUE with the "BIG DOG" Robinson and know the academic standard PURDUE was willing to tolerate to be competitive in the big dance.

You don't walk up to Coach and say "Hey Knight...." as the son of an English prof did that was the provocateur of incidents/excuse to get rid of Knight.

Few know the reality of the deal made with the IU President. "Get rid of Knight and you will be NCAA president" of the shitpile.

TImes change society changes. It was no longer possible to exercise the discipline and authority on the new generations,

the players became  "stars to be", "gonna be a millionaire when I get to the NBA and I ain't gonna tolerate this shit" and the like.

Go to class?! Pass Class?! I'll go somewhere else more "friendly" to stars of games, not DUKE or IU though.

I can get a car and cash daddy to take care of me. I'll go where I am wanted.....

It all lead to murderers on NFL rosters (Ravens) and the whole atmosphere of entitlement and self importance of jocks today.

I'd love to see those jerks teleported to MCRD bootcamp in 1970, cry baby cry.

"Get  yer ass off the bus and on my yella feetprints painted on the Commandant's deck, move mother*ers!"

"Chesty Puller is watching your slimy asses!"

From athletes being thankful for a free college degree and expecting nothing more,

to the corrupted game of today where the athletes are doing the Universities a favor to play "for them".

Frat rats and entitled athletes same ol' crap to me.

As "coach P" took down UK to scorn, Sampson killed the IU tradition of integrity.

Dishonesty stole the throne and nobody cared.

The dollars roll in, it is just business now not personal.

Personal to me as I met and spoke in more depth to Bob Knight in 77.

He respected me as a Gyrene and when he found I was a VOC-REHAB (VA) student he gave a shit.

I do not know how he knew all that.

But he earned my undying loyalty in one sentence.

He didn't "thank me for my service",

he only said "I hear you might have been a player if your left knee was not ...*ed up."

Only in my dreams I said...but I'd have loved it.

Respect was quite rare for veterans in that day I assure you.

Bob Knight did not think I was a fool to have served this nation as the generation of my peers did.

I knew, Bob Knight knew and some others knew. 

Integrity is like that.

Society degrades in the lack of integrity.

"Go Big Red" means nothing to me now.

Jim

Go BUTLER! Integrity rules there still. 

Anyone wanting to know the real Bob Knight ask Landon Turner about Coach.

#5 Jim Hackett II

Jim Hackett II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

No matter who gets a brief and shining moment this weekend,

Congrats and to the players...fwiw... get the damn degee the NBA can wait for that.

Me? I'd make it understood that I finish my eduction first before signing/negotiations.

Go BiG 10, like Ohio State did for football.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Work by: XmasZen.com